The appointment itself went smoothly, after the judge arrived 30 minutes late.
Oh, so I guess you want to know why we were there?
I know that some people aren't going to agree with what I did today.
I know that some people are going to be downright angry with me.
I know that most people totally support my decision - including my children.
Daniel's last name has now been legally changed to my maiden name.
There. I said it.
Want to know why?
1. My older 3 kids all share the same last name - that of their father, my first husband, who is an active participant in their lives.
2. Alex's last name is my maiden name. His father and I weren't married when he was born and at that time, I was still using my first married name. I made the decision at that time to give him my maiden name.
3. I took my maiden name back after my second divorce.
4. Daniel was the only person in this family to have his last name. He didn't "match" anyone else.
5. Daniel's father's family has not been involved in his life at all for 2 years, 3 months, and 27 days, as of today. At all. I opened the door, and they chose not to come in.
6. Daniel's father's family has chosen not to cooperate with me in any way, shape or form to ensure that he would qualify for various programs. They put their selfish, spiteful, petty ways ahead of his well-being.
7. My family has been there for Daniel since the day he was born, and will be forever.
Didn't make much sense to me to have him carry the name of a family who has proven over and over again that they don't care about him - so why not give him the name of his family who loves him?
So, it's done and over with. I just have to wait to get the official paperwork back from the state, which should only take a week or two - then I get to run around and change it with everyone who needs to have it changed.
With all of that being said.....I feel the need to remind everyone that because of the comments that were left on this post I will continue to moderate comments. I will post all comments unless they contain personally identifying information about anyone (you know, don't spill the last names and stuff like that). Please keep the language at least semi-clean. Bash me all you want - I'm a big girl and I can handle it. Don't bash each other. It's ok to disagree - just show a little respect.
Now, have at it.