buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

RIP Uncle Sam

October 22, 1937 - October 5, 2011



It's been many years since I've seen him - I think it may have been in 2000 when I went back for my Aunt Doris' funeral. As a child, I remember Uncle Sam being tall, so tall....and he was big. Not fat, just big! And he had this huge booming voice that let everyone know what he thought - whether you wanted to know or not! And he was always bald, or nearly bald. I remember being slightly terrified of him when I was younger, simply because he was larger than life.

I remember his house - the only one that I ever remember him and Aunt Dorothy living in. It was an old Victorian home, and it was made at least partially of stone. There was a stone wall in the yard with an archway in it, and I always thought that it was the coolest. thing. ever.

I should have gone to see him and Aunt Dorothy when we were back in Pennsylvania, but I didn't. No excuses - I just didn't. And that's something that I will always regret.

But now, for him there is no more cancer. No more doctors poking and prodding. No more pain.

Just peace.

12 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss...the heart knows no span of time...you loved him then, you love him now...
    no pain, just peace...Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mare. It's been a rough day, and knowing that I can't be there just makes it harder. =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful, Amy. He was such a great big brother and I'm so glad that his suffering has ended and he can rest till we see him again. Love you, Sam, and see you in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. <3 I am sending you a lot of love honey. I hope the sorrow is a bit easier for you tomorrow. I love you, and am thinking of you and your family tonight and always! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your loss. Cancer is such a horrid disease, I'm glad there is peace for your beloved uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AND A TEAR FELL FOR YOU AMY. YOUR SO DEAR. A SWEET CARING PERSON WITH SO MUCH LOVE FOR EVERYONE. YOU CAN'T BE EVERYWHERE. I MISS SO MUCH OVER THE YEARS. ALWAY LIVING A 1000 OR MORE MILES FROM FAMILY AND NOT BEING ABLE TO GO HOME FOR FUNERALS AND WEDDINGS,BIRTHS ALSO. JUST KNOW YOUR FAMILY UNDERSTANDS. YOUR HEART AND LOVE ARE THERE WITH THEM.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww i am so sorry, my thoughts are with you and your family my dear friend :( <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry, Amy...

    Rest well, Uncle Sam. Love and peace to you and all who mourn his loss.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry to hear this. We can't go back and change anything so move forward with your wonderful memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. what you wrote is so true about uncle sam and he will truly be missed. But he suffers no longer of cancer and for that we are all thankful.....God gained another great angel today and he is looking down on us all R.I.P. Uncle Sam xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, everyone. I appreciate it.

    It's still just so surreal - not being there, not being able to go to the service - just makes it harder. I just have to keep reminding myself that he's at peace now. =/

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.