buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Gloves, a barn, happy ducks, and hairy wieners...

It was downright cold this morning when I decided to walk Daniel to playschool. I believe the temperature was somewhere in the mid-30's so he was bundled up, complete with hat and gloves. He was thrilled and didn't want to take his gloves off all day - I'm not 100% sure but he might be sleeping in them too. Whatever makes him happy, you know?

I went exploring a bit farther on my walk today, and found this old barn tucked away on the back side of the nearby college campus. It's obviously just used for storage now, but I would have a field day exploring it if I wasn't afraid of getting arrested for trespassing or something.

For the first time in a long time, I saw a flock of ducks on Sand Creek. Granted, they were all huddled together under the bridge - probably trying to figure out why their butts were so cold all of a sudden.

At least Sand Creek is starting to get some water in it again. Hopefully it'll be back up to normal levels before winter - I'd hate to see mud and grass where there's supposed to be ice.








And last but not least, what do you get when you combine spaghetti with hot dogs?

Why, you get hairy wieners of course! Or, as I preferred to call them around the kids, "hairy hot dogs" - but you get the point.

I can not take credit for this idea. I saw it posted on someone's facebook page (can't remember who, so if you want to fess up, feel free) and thought that it was hysterical. Since we were having hot dogs and hamburgers for supper tonight, I figured it would be funny to do it without the kids seeing me. So I cut up a couple of hot dogs, shoved the spaghetti through them, and chucked them into the pan to boil with the other ones.

They had no idea what to think when I pulled them out of the pan. I almost had them convinced that I did it by threading the noodle through the eye of a needle and pulling it through the hot dog like thread, but then they figured it out. Smart kids.



Yeah, they might need therapy after that one. But it was fun.

I'm going to go curl up with my good friend, ibuprofen, and watch a movie. 7+ miles today, and I'm feeling it.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my...I SO love the hairy weiners idea! I will definitely have to wow my kids with my magic powers! :) Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd make this... but, I'm so sure Emry would go to school and say "I had hairy weiners for dinner last night"

    and then I'd be arrested. ROFL.

    Such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO SO COOL. KIDS LOVE THIS STUFF. I WOULD NEVER THINK OF IT. YOU COULD ALSO PUT A HOLE IN THE MIDDLE AND PUT VEGGIES THEY DON'T LIKE AND THEN PLUG UP THE HOLE. WHY NOT?

    AMY FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do something similar to this, except we use bigger pieces and stick the spaghetti into one end so that they make little octopuses (octopussi?). It's a blast, but next time I'm going to have to try hairy wieners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. T - what on earth were you doing up at 3:37am?

    Kat - just call them hairy hot dogs around him. LOL

    Granny - I hide veggies in all sorts of stuff. They have no idea! You know you can easily mix pureed butternut squash in with macaroni & cheese?

    Christopher - I think it's "octopi"...LOL I also saw a suggestion about using little sausages and then actually serving it with spaghetti sauce.

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.