buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Oh yay, what a day.

I know it could have been worse.

I put the kids to bed last night, and around midnight, I heard screaming coming from the boys' room. I ran in there and Daniel was crying that he had to go to the bathroom. We sprinted and barely made it before he had a massive bout of diarrhea. Then while he was sitting there, he started to puke. He was not a happy camper. So he came out to the living room and sat with me while I watched a movie. This went on until about 4am, so needless to say, I didn't get much sleep last night.

I got up early enough (5:45ish) to take the cinnamon rolls out of the fridge and preheat the oven, and then I laid back down "for a few minutes". Next thing I knew, it was 6:54. We have to leave by 7:15 to get the older 3 kids to school on time. I threw the cinnamon rolls into the oven, yelled at the kids, and got them up and dressed and they got all of their stuff together. I grabbed plastic plates, threw hot cinnamon rolls onto them, and got everyone into the van by about 7:20. They ate and I drove, and we made it to the school on time - barely. Then we took off again so that I could get Alex to his school by 8:00. I think it was 8:02 when we pulled in - worked for me at that point. Besides, there was a school van pulling up behind us at the same time, so it's not like we were that late, right?

Daniel and I came home, and all I wanted to do was lay back down for a while. But he had other ideas. After being a Vomit Rocket all night long, the kid was ready to go this morning! He was in such a good mood and just wanted to DO stuff all morning. I really just wanted to sleep. But about the time I decided that it was pointless and I would go get a shower, there was a knock at the door.

Hello, Mr. Maintenance Dude.

I had called the landlord the other day because there is STILL a leak in the bathroom - but I had figured out where it was coming from and it really only needed some caulking. So he came in, took a look at it, and went to get the stuff that he needed. He found a few more leaks and so he went caulk-crazy, which of course meant that I couldn't take a shower. *rolling eyes*

I did go a little crazy this afternoon and whipped up a batch of cornbread. From scratch. Just because I wanted some. And it was goooooooooooood. Even the kids liked it, which amazed me since they're normally so picky about that. Oh, and that's the second pan of cinnamon rolls which will be tomorrow's breakfast since I plan to get up on time. Ha. Ha. Ha.

I did finally decide that it was time to do Daniel's laundry today. The good part about him having a ton of clothes is that I don't have to do his very often. The bad part is that when I finally do decide to do it, his basket looks something like this.

When the pile of dirty laundry is taller than the kid who wears the clothes, it's time to do it. No more excuses.

Of course the girls decided that I need to do their laundry tonight too - which I'm not really looking forward to doing, but at the same time they did finally tell me that they need to have it done the night before, instead of pitching a total fit 5 minutes before it's time to go to school because they don't have anything to wear. Plus, I was just informed that they need to have something pink to wear to the football game tomorrow night. Like that's going to work - they don't have a lot of pink stuff, and I know I don't have any. Pink is not a popular color in this house. At all.

I keep saying that I'm just going to make them start doing their own laundry - but I haven't done it yet. I know that they're old enough, but sometimes it's just easier to do it myself. At least then I know that it's done right.

Oh boy....I think I just discovered another control-freak-tendency of mine. Every time I say that I'm not a control freak, something like that pops up. *sigh* I should just give up and admit it.

But I'm really not that bad. I don't have to be in total control all of the time. Do I?

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad my gang is older and for the most part does their own laundry. I don't miss those days of shuttling and waiting hand and foot on the sick ones. Not that teen-age years are much better. *snicker*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first read of your blog - loved it, I can SO relate! We have 10 here...oldest is 21 and has a neuro degenerative disease, the four youngest are all 2 and under lol Every word you wrote hit home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ingrid, my oldest is about to turn 12 next month, and she's more like a teenager than any "real" teenager that I know! LOL She reminds me so much of me, so yeah, it's going to be ugly.

    Angela - 10 kids? Wow....hats off to you! I only have 5 ("only"...*snort*) but it's crazy around here. And 4 under the age of 2? Wow...just...wow.

    Thanks to both of you for coming by! I hope you stick around for a while! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Amy are you ever in trouble if your oldest is just like you. LOL I remember your teenage years. You corrupted me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did no such thing.....I was sweet and innocent.

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think what you're experiencing is a "Control Freak" moment.
    What I think it is... You have a schedule, a set way you've been doing things forever... and within that schedule of chaos... you find comfort... when something changes, and it can alter your schedule... you go AHHHHHHHHh, because it's like losing your comfort.
    Once you start a new schedule and get used to it... it will feel right again...

    I know this feeling... because it happens to me a lot!

    (Denial from one control freak to another. **GIGGLES**)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy,
    Ha!...had to laugh at Kateri. I agree totally! It is just EASIER sometimes...cough cough notadmittingtobeingacontrolfreak!... My 25 year old daughter lives on her own but comes over here to do her laundry because then she can watch tv with us and use our computer signal (probably an antiquated term, but that's me!) and she finally had to TELL me that she would do it. In other words...stay away from my laundry mom! sigh... oh, well...my 'little' boy of 20 still 'needs' me to do his!!!
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a control freak. Not not not.

    OK, maybe a little bit. I do admit it when it comes to driving, but I don't like to admit it anywhere else. LOL

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.