buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Spur of the Moment Road Trip

The kids and I decided that we didn't want to stay at home all day, so we discussed it and finally figured out what to do. We loaded up in the van and headed north to Abilene, KS to ride on the Abilene and Smoky Valley Excursion Train. We've done this several times before, and they always love it. It takes just over an hour to get there from our house, so it's just far enough to be considered an adventure in their eyes.

It was pretty dreary as we headed out, but started to clear up as we got closer.

We hung around in the depot for a bit, and then watched a reenactment of an old west gunfight.


Candy from back home....made in Camp Hill, PA









They had Kwik Shop coffee in the wild west?


Daniel loves trains, but hates the noise...



Nothing but the best in seating on this train!

This hatchery was damaged by the tornado that went on to devastate the town of Chapman a few years ago. See the portions of the roof that are still missing?

Preparing to cross the big steel bridge

Checking out the locomotive

Daniel couldn't handle the excitement on the way back!

Driving home...

And this one is for a friend from another blog! :)


All in all it was a good day. Time to get them all in the tub, and then into bed. I love doing these spur-of-the-moment trips - always fun, and no stress in the planning!

9 comments:

  1. We have something like that here, but we have never done it. They even have Thomas the Train come once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Thomas. I am so sick of Thomas! LOL

    It was so cold though - the wind was whipping through on the open car, so we stayed on that until we got to the stop, and then we opted for the enclosed dining car on the way back. I can't get warm for the life of me - think I'm going to be taking a hot shower after the kids get done - if there's any hot water left by then!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have awarded you the Pay It Forward award for inspiring me. Stop by my blog to pick it up and post it on yours! http://www.myhusbandateallmyicecream.com/2011/05/good-bloggers-pay-it-forward.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAS ANYONE TOLD YOU LATELY THAT YOUR SPECIAL.
    THANKS FOR THE TAMPA PICTURE. HOW COOL YOU CAUGHT IT THAT FAST AND THOUGHT OF ME. GRANNIES ARE SO SPECIAL. RIGHT? HUGS TO YOU AND THE KIDS. GRANNY FROM TAMPA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Granny! I'm so glad that you saw it! We saw that sign on the way up and I made a mental note to get a picture of it for you on the way back - I'm betting that your Tampa is a lot nicer (and warmer) than our Tampa! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH HONEY,ANY PLACE YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOUR HEART IS THERE THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THINKING OF ME.I JUST FELT SPECIAL.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome! I wanna go on a spur of the moment road trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO MUCH FUN!!! You also got a couple awesome family pix (the one of JUST the kids and then of you and the kids...so good!)
    I was looking for a picture of "horses" for Granny and then...there it was!!! TAMPA! How nice of you to capture that.
    Glad you had a wonderful day...
    mare

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.