buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The most amazing friends in the world

If you are a fan on my facebook page, then you might have seen a post from me yesterday that said this:

I know that some of you live in the greater Wichita area even though I don't know you personally, so I'm going to post this here too. If you can help in any way, please let me know.....

I NEED YOUR HELP!!! I just got a call from a friend, and she is getting custody of her cousin's 3 kids. All boys, ages 4 months, 18 months, and 3 years. They have NOTHING. Her own son is 14, so she has no baby stuff. She is getting beds, but she needs pretty much everything else - crib sheets, blankets, clothes, toys, bottles, sippy cups, baby gates, outlet covers, potty chair/seat - you name it, she probably needs it. I am going to go through my boys' clothes and see what I can come up with, but if anyone has anything else that I can get THIS WEEK please let me know - I need it by Friday.


I posted the same thing on my personal page, as did The Dude, his mother, and a friend of his. I wasn't sure what kind of a response that I'd get, because I know that times are tough right now. I hoped to be able to pick up a few odds and ends for her so that she wouldn't have to be quite so stressed with the transition of getting 3 new babies all at once.

Before I knew it, offers started rolling in - almost faster than I could respond. Friends, friends of friends, even people that I had never met before started posting comments telling me what they had. I started gathering addresses and making plans, and this evening The Dude and I (and Daniel and Alex) went into Wichita and went from one side of the city to the other. All in all, we made 6 separate stops gathering donations.

To put this in perspective: Two of these people were my friends - women who I have met before, been to their houses before....I *know* them. Three of the women are members of a group that I am in - of those three, I had met one briefly before, but I never met the other two until this evening. The last one was a long-time friend of The Dude's, but I had never met this couple.

Out of all of these people, none of them have met my friend. They have no idea who she is. They took the time out of their busy schedules to go through and pack up items that they no longer needed in order to give them to a total stranger.

This....this is what we came home with tonight:


We. aren't. done. yet.

There is more. More offers are pouring in - even now, as I type this. I have another friend from church who is bringing stuff here on Thursday. My neighbor heard what was going on and he added in the big blue bag that is just clothes. More people are willing to help.

I am so incredibly grateful right now, and even a touch overwhelmed. The generosity of strangers is completely and utterly amazing, and I can't thank these people enough for their kindness. Being able to help her like this means everything in the world to me. As I sit here and think back in the not-so-distant past, I remember the generosity of friends and strangers that helped me to get through some of the darkest times in my life, and I feel so blessed to be able to help her when she needs it.

I am amazed. Grateful. Thankful. Overwhelmed. Humbled.

To everyone who has helped, or still wants to help:

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You all are amazing.

5 comments:

  1. Yep, It's a well known fact that I'm not particularly fond of humanity. However, everytime I'm about to give up on Homo Sapiens as a species, something like this happens and renews that hope that there are beacons of light in this world.

    Great job to everyone. You people are freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for going with me, babe. It was a fun (though exhausting) evening and I'm glad that we got to share it, and to meet some of each other's friends at the same time! You're awesome!

      Delete
  2. In a world gone terribly wrong, sometimes our faith in humanity is rejuvenated by situations like this. It was not so long ago that someone I never met (and still haven't,) went above and beyond when I was in a very bad situation. It changed my life forever, and for that, I am eternally thankful. PAY IT FORWARD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a strong believer in paying it forward - and I know that my friend will do the same when she is able to do it. It's such a great feeling to be able to do for others when it was done for me so many times.

      Delete
  3. AMAZING FOR SURE. YOU DID A GOOD THING. FOLKS, THAT'S WHAT AMY IS ALL ABOUT. JOB WELL DONE AND BLESS THE PERSON THAT WILL BE RECEIVING AT THE OTHER END. SHE'S DOING THE RIGHT THING GIVING THESE CHILDREN A REAL HOME.GOD BLESS.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.