buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Taking a step forward

So, as I talked about yesterday, The Dude and I are *thinking* about moving in together. It's still a new-ish idea for both of us, but we've talked about it a lot over the past few months - just not as seriously as we are now. There are so many reasons why we should (and I'm not going to go into a lot of those for personal reasons) but we really haven't come up with any reasons why we shouldn't.

While I was playing around online last night, I decided out of curiosity to look and see if there were any houses for rent that would suit us in the town that we want to eventually move to. While I was scrolling through some listings, I stumbled upon an image that I immediately recognized.

There's this house - I was in it years ago (probably 10 or more years, honestly) and I loved it then. I've driven past it a million times since, and I still love the house.

And it's for sale.

I clicked on the listing and started reading the description. Four bedrooms, three full bathrooms, fully remodeled, 2 car garage, huge corner lot, new roof, new this, new that, and a small one bedroom with one bathroom house on the same property. I looked at the price and thought "huh. I wonder....."

After I picked my jaw up off of my desk, I sent the link to The Dude, who had already gone to bed. He got up sometime later and shot me a message.

"well, should we look into this, it's exactly what we're talking about."

So we drove out there today, just to take a look. He loved it from the outside as much as I did. So, we called the number on the sign. The owner answered, and said that he could be there in 30 minutes to show us the inside.

Why not?

We took the boys to a local park and played around for a while until he got there with his wife, and we went inside. The house is amazing. They have done a ton of work remodeling it, and it's really close to perfect for us. The only real downfall that I saw immediately is that one of the upstairs bedrooms doesn't have a closet - but there's enough room that we could put an armoire or a wardrobe or something in there for whichever kid landed in that room if we were to get the house. We looked at the little house too (someone's living there at the moment) and it was just absolutely adorable, and would be a perfect place for The Dude's mother to live.

So....we took a step. We looked. We liked. We went back to the hospital and showed The Dude's mom the pictures that we had taken and talked to her about it. We know that realistically, financing is going to be an issue - we don't have stellar credit, but our current income is good.

At this point, we're looking at it like this: we're going to look into the financing and see what we can get, if anything. If we can get it, we get it. If we don't, we're no worse off than where we are right now and we maintain status quo. I just can't help but think that there's a reason why I stumbled on to this particular house right at this moment in time - it could be a fluke, it could be coincidence, or it could be some kind of a sign. Who knows? We figure if we don't get this house, we'll keep looking - the right house is out there somewhere, and if we don't find it right away, we'll be ok. We're not going to find a house for the sake of finding a house, and we're not going to settle for something that isn't perfect for us - so when the time is right, the right house will appear and we will get it. It could happen really fast - or it might not.

Oh - and just to add to all of the perks of this house - it's about 4 blocks from where the kids would go to school, and (this could be good or bad) it's about 4 blocks from Ex1's house - so the older three kids could realistically just run back and forth between houses with a bit more freedom, rather than being (what they perceive as) "stuck" at one house or the other.

So....we'll see. No decisions have been made yet. We're ok with whatever direction this happens to take. One day, one step at a time.

We'll see what happens.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Here, for your enjoyment...some pictures from our outing at the park while we were waiting to go look at the house.



Perhaps the least flattering picture of me ever posted...




14 comments:

  1. First, I have to tell you, that is the heaviest merrygoround I've ever engaged. LOL.

    I think the biggest thing I'd like people to understand is that we're not running into this like 2 enamored teenagers, rather, we've been looking at this from all sides, starting with the benefits for the kids and going from there.
    All I can say, really, is that my goal is to Love Amy, love the kids and take care of both families, if combining households becomes a reality.
    I will add that the idea of waking up next to Amy every morning is very awesome! LOL.
    We'll continue to take things one step at a time, communicate and do what's best for the kids and my mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Although you might need to have your head examined if you really want to wake up next to me every morning. You know I'm not a very nice person at that time of the day..... :P

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I really believe that if it is meant to be, it will be! If nothing else comes out of it, you will know what kind of financing and how much a lender can offer you and you can continue your search knowing that! It sounds like a wonderful HOME and the two of you are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what we're thinking - even if we don't get *this* house, we'll know where we sit financially. And thank you for the prayers - we'll take all of those we can get! ;)

      Delete
  3. Fabulous! We have recently run into the same sort of thing.....the house part of course....its called to me since we moved here 5 years ago....its available .....we've checked into things and we are almost close enough to taste it but we are waiting to find out if its meant to be....hopefully soon we will finally be buying a house. Good luck to you and many prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fantastic! And good luck to you as well and thank you for the prayers!

      Delete
  4. I BELIEVE IN SIGNS.FUNNY HOW THIS PLACE HAS A LITTLE HOUSE FOR DUDES MOM. SOUNDS TO ME YOU BETTER GRAB IT WHILE IT'S FOR SALE.I WISH I HAD BOO KOO BIG BUCKS, I'D HELP YOU GET INTO THAT HOUSE. FINGERS CROSSED.GETTING LOANS ARE HARD TO COME BY. MAYBE IT'S YOUR TIME TO GET ONE.YOU WANTED TO MOVE CLOSER TO THE KIDS SCHOOL. FUNNY HOW THIS HOUSE CAME INTO THE PICTURE, PLUS, THE HOUSE YOU'VE LOVED ALL ALONG. WOW.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost too good to be true because it is everything that we wanted and more, so we'll just see how things play out at this point!

      Delete
  5. I don't believe in luck either. If it is suppose to be your house, it will be. It took me 3 years to find my house I just moved into and I believe it was the place God meant for me to be... This sounds so wonderful Amy and Kerry, I wish nothing but the best for both of you!
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, THIS is exciting...not just about the possibility of the HOUSE but the possibilities...
    I SO agree with Beth, I don't believe in luck and think what is meant to be will be and if NOTHING else, you will be armed with more info PLUS, you will feel more grounded in your plans..
    SO wishing you both (ALL) the best of all life has for you!
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  7. I literally attended that church for like 10+ years. I grew up at that park!!! <3 it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I knew you'd recognize it! I'll have to tell you about the exact location of the house - actually I'll just send you the link to it - you'll probably recognize it.

      Delete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.