buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Doctor, potential sinkhole, and lots of laundry

I had to take Daniel to the ENT this morning - nothing major, just a follow-up. He had his second set of tubes put in his ears and his adenoids removed just over 2 years ago, and his pediatrician just wanted to have the ENT take a look at them again. Everything checked out fine, and we don't have to go back again for another 6 months - at that point, if the tubes are still in, the ENT might go ahead and remove them, but he's not too concerned about them right now. Luckily this kid has been uber-healthy so I'm good with just maintaining the way that we are for now.



In the meantime, I noticed this morning that there was a puddle of water in front of my house, but I didn't think too much about it. Then later this afternoon, after The Dude got here, I noticed that it was still there - and it was exactly even with my water meter. We went out and looked, and sure enough, the water is seeping up through the street. So I called the water department and was told that they'd deal with it in the morning (it was 4:50pm when I called). But at about 5:30, the city guys showed up, looked at it, and said "yep, the water line is going to need to be fixed, but it can wait until tomorrow" - uuuuuhhhhh ok. You want to put some cones around it or something? "Nah, it'll be fine." Whatever. It's definitely getting worse, but I still have running water - until about 8am, when they're scheduled to fix it. Luckily, it's on the city side of my water meter, so it's not affecting my bill...but they did warn me that depending on what they find, they might have to tear up my (already hideous) yard. The pavement is already getting squishy out there, so it's just a matter of time and traffic before a sinkhole appears out there.



I've been working on baby laundry all day long - started at about 7am and it's still going. I had to go to a meeting at my church tonight, so The Dude came over and stayed with the kids while I went there - and unbeknownst to me while I was gone he did a few more loads of laundry and even ran the dishwasher since I won't have any water tomorrow. Then he helped me to fold a few loads of it and sort it out - there's some girl stuff (and some adult stuff) mixed in, so we're putting that stuff aside to donate to the thrift store here in town.

This.....this is what we have done so far. There's still a few more loads to finish yet. Yes, there is a loveseat under there somewhere.


Tomorrow, other than running the kids back and forth to school (and folding laundry) I actually don't have a whole lot of stuff happening. Another friend is bringing some more baby stuff over in the morning, and once we get everything sorted we're going to start bagging it up to make sure that we can even fit it all into the van. I have a double stroller that I want to take to her too, but I have a feeling that we're going to have to put that on the roof of the van (literally) to get it there on Saturday.

I have actually caught some grief for doing this - someone (not anyone from this blog or my facebook page, but someone from a group where I had posted the request for donations) seriously all but accused me of gathering all of this stuff so that I could sell it and keep the money for myself. I'm amazed that someone could even think that, but I refuse to let it get to me. All I know is that I am so incredibly grateful to everyone who has helped with this little project - you all know who you are, and I couldn't have done it without you. And to The Dude - thank you. For watching the kids tonight, for helping with the dishes and the laundry, and just for everything.

8 comments:

  1. Love you babe... the look on your face when you found out I ran the dishes was all the thanks I need! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too. I couldn't do all of this crazy stuff without you!

      Delete
  2. The Dude Abides...and so do you! Awesome Job Amy and Kerry.
    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not the big guy... you're the big guy, I'm just The Dude, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg"!! I'm totally overwhelmed with emotion and gratitude for all that you guys have done. Thank you so much for everything. God has truly blessed me and my family! We are so lucky to have you in our lives and I will spend the rest of my life thanking God for you!

    -the anonymous foster mom to be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad that we could help - and just wait, because I got a ton more stuff today! Love you chica, and can't wait to see you!

      Delete
  5. AMY AND THE DUDE, JUST REMEMBER IF SOMEONE HAS A PROBLEM WITH YOU IT'S THEIR PROBLEM. I HAD SOMEONE ON A BLOG LAST WEEK SAY I RAIN ON EVERYONES PARADE WHICH REALLY HURT ME. BUT THEN I THOUGHT ABOUT IT AND DECIDED THAT THIS PERSON NEEDS LOVE SO I JUST LET IT GO.YOU CAN'T WIN WITH PEOPLE LIKE THAT PERSON. I THINK WHAT YOU DID FOR THIS FRIEND OF YOURS IS A WONDERFUL THING. I ALWAY TRY TO LIFT A PERSON UP. JUST THINK WHAT A BETTER LIFE THESE CHILDREN WILL HAVE. JUST MAYBE, MUCH NEEDED LOVE. GOD WILL BLESS YOU FOR WHAT YOU DID.YOU DON'T DO SOMETHING LOOKING FOR THANKS.YOUR ALWAYS THERE FOR YOUR FRIENDS. THAT'S A GOOD THING. IF YOU WERE MY DAUGHTER, I'D BE SO PROND OF YOU.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.