buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Adventures in fishing

So today, after being MIA for 3 months, Alex's father finally took him for a visit.

Daniel and I headed over to The Dude's house, and Daniel stayed with The Dude's mother for a few hours while we went fishing. Alone. With no kids.

We took off toward the lake, and decided to try a new fishing spot this time. We found what looked to be a great spot - wide open, no other people in sight, no overhanging limbs - perfect, right?

Yeah. Except for this. And he was very content with his location. We, on the other hand, were not - but we wanted to stay. We tried to scare him with noise .... then tossed a few sticks toward him .... then a few pebbles.

Finally, he got annoyed with us and took off. But just to prove his point, he stayed in the area for quite a while - and just kept swimming back and forth in front of us. After a while, he disappeared and didn't come back.

There were a lot of cranes in the area - there was one that hung out across the water from us for quite a while, but he wouldn't come close enough for me to get a really good picture.

This one was a little bit more cooperative - but not very much.


The weather was a little questionable at first - there was the possibility of getting some pretty severe storms, so we kept one eye on the sky and our ear on the radio until they blew over, and then we settled in for a few hours.

So anyway....it was yet another not-so-good fishing day, but we ended up with a really amusing story that leads up to our biggest catch of the day.

No, his stick was not the biggest catch of the day.


The Dude apparently has a turtle fetish. Or they love him. Whichever way it goes, he couldn't catch anything but turtles today. The first one that he caught was pretty decent-sized, but he got off the line before he got him out of the water and onto dry land, so we didn't get a picture of him.

The second one, however - created all sorts of havoc.


He got hooked right in the foot - actually, just through the skin, so it wasn't a horrible wound for him. The Dude brought him over to me so that I could help to get the hook out, so I laid my pole down on the ground next to my chair. He was holding the line out of the way, while I held on to the turtle and worked on getting the hook out of his foot. At the same time, I noticed that my pole was starting to jump around in the grass.

Really? I get a bite, NOW?!?!?

The hook came out of the turtle's foot and I went to put him down in the grass, and the turtle reached around and bit me on the knuckle - and then ran back to the water (yes, he ran). At about this time, The Dude noticed my pole jumping around in the grass. I grabbed it immediately and then realized that I had another problem.

The Dude: Babe, do your thing! (meaning "reel him in!")

Me: Um, you want to get your hook out of my finger first?

The Dude: Oh crap! *reaches over and pulls his hook out of my finger*

Me: *proceeds to reel my line in*

And after all of that, what did I end up with?

A carp. Woo. Hoo.


So in about 5 or 6 hours of fishing, we caught a stick, 3 turtles, and a carp. After the third turtle, we called it quits because we had to get back into town and get some stuff done. Again, not the best fishing ever, but it was so nice to be able to just sit back and relax and not worry about the kids and just enjoy each other's company. I struggled with Alex going with his father today, and sitting out there by the water while I processed my emotions really helped me to clear my head.

Hopefully we'll be able to go fishing more this summer, and even take all of the kids out at some point - I would still like to take them all camping before we leave for TMOART:12 just to see how they all do in the tent, but we'll see if we can make that happen or not.

And of course, speaking of TMOART:12, don't forget about the auction on my facebook page to raise some extra money to cover some unexpected expenses leading up to the trips. You know, like the 2 tires that I hadn't planned on buying, but I really need to buy before we leave. Stuff like that. Ugh.

12 comments:

  1. He did it on purpose, didn't he? Payback for the stick to the face! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it was called "Turtling" I'd have rocked today...
    With Alex, I know how hard this situation is on you. I promise to do my best to be a positive male example for him and to show him the right paths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was still a fun day babe...other than the whole turtle bite/hook in the finger episode.

      And you are wonderful with him (with all of the kids really) and you have no idea how much I appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  3. KERRY, I SAY THANK GOD HE HAS A MALE IN HIS LIFE TO LOOK UP TOO. HE'LL ALWAY REMEMBER WHAT YOU DO WITH HIM. A FATHER THAT SHOWS UP ONLY WHEN HE HAS NOTHING BETTER TO DO, SHOULD JUST STAY HOME. HE'S NOT DOING A THING TO MAKE LIFE HAPPY FOR ALEX. ALEX EVEN LOOKS HAPPIER IN THE FACE NOW THAT YOU'VE COME INTO THEIR LIVIES.THE FATHER WILL REGRET WHAT HE MISSED WHEN HE GETS OLD. BELIEVE ME HE WILL.BUT THEN JUST MAYBE HE'S READING AMYS BLOG AND JUST A LITTLE JEALOUS SEEING ALEX BEING HAPPY. SORRY JUST MY OPINION. SOMETIMES I SHOULD KEEP MY OPINION TO MYSELF BUT THOSE LITTLE BOYS ARE JUST A DELIGHT. AMY'S DOING ONE GREAT JOB BEING A MOTHER. GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry has been a great influence on all of the kids - I can see a definite difference in all of them since he's been around. :)

      Delete
  4. AMY!!!!! (yes that was yelling!!) you now will know how much I love keeping up with you ...I even read all the captions by the "S" word... (yes..ssssnnnnakkEE!!)
    Hope you all have the best summer ever...looks like you're off to a great start..
    and just a little p.s. I have to agree with granny on how happy the kidlets look...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The summer has been great so far - I just can't wait for the older 3 to get back from their vacation because it seems like it's been forever since I've seen them and it's killing me. And the road trip is in just a few weeks! Woot!

      Delete
  5. When C's Dad left for 2 months to help his ex with the birth and subsequent care of his (now) 2 year old son, I put him through a long reintroduction process. She was so mad at him that he'd left her that they had real issues being together. Even now if he goes 1 - 2 weeks between seeing her, his visits are uncomfortable. She may only be 4 but she tells him in her own way that his behaviour is unacceptable. I've told him that from now on I want visit dates on the calendar one month in advance. If he gives me less than a weeks notice on a visit it doesn't happen. I can't have her going through this roller coaster all the time. She needs a Dad that puts her first, not slots her in when he's got time. Sorry...venting. Bad visit week on this side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't apologize for venting - we all have to do it, or we go nuts! Luckily(?) Alex's father has now figured out how to use his phone, so he's at least been calling him at night to talk to him - so maybe that will help a little bit. I just don't understand how any parent can walk away from a child - it's just wrong on so many levels. I hope that your situation works out for you - sounds like you have a good handle on it!

      Delete
  6. Haha. Sorry that you didn't catch anything - but ... you told a great story. :) You always do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks Kristen! It really was a fun day - turtles and all!

      Delete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.