buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Friday, February 22, 2013

The snowpocalypse that wasn't.

You would have thought that the world was going to end over the past few days. The meteorologists were calling for massive amounts of snow that would surely mean the end of life as we knew it.

Granted, this part of Kansas doesn't get that much snow. But still, it happens. It's a fact of life. It's nothing to get all sorts of worked up about, but people do anyway.

Snow doesn't bother me. I grew up getting a lot more snow on a regular basis than Kansas gets in one of its "massive" storms. So I laugh when they forecast a snowpocalypse. And it irritates people, I know.

Anyway, the forecasters were pretty close this time, in some areas. I think we were supposed to get 8-16" according to one report, and according to the ruler stuck in my front yard, we topped out at 7" exactly. To me, it definitely wasn't worth all of the pre-storm hype. But, that's just me.

Anyway, here are a few pictures. Keep in mind that my camera (my wonderfully fabulous new-to-me camera) took a flying leap off of my desk and hit the hardwood floor the other day thanks to an overly rambunctious child who shall remain unnamed. So it's not focusing right. So some of these (the blurryish ones) were taken with the camera and some were taken with my phone. I'm trying to see if I can get the camera to work again, because you know, I think I know what I'm doing. Or something.

The backyard, as it was starting to come down.
The Dude cleaning off his truck the next morning.
My van, when it was about done snowing.

Neighbor's tree. It looked really cool with the icicles on it.

My ghetto-riffic house after I shoveled as much as I was
going to shovel. 

Gigantic icicles on the side of my house. They're
actually about 18-20" long.

More icicles. I suppose this means that I should get up on the
garage roof and clean out the gutter again.
(after it thaws)

Driving through town tonight - not only did we have to deal
with the mountain of snow in the middle of the street, but we
also had to wait on a train.

Looking straight out of my side window at the pile
in the middle of the street.

I've heard rumors that we're supposed to get some more snow on top of this, and honestly - I'm ok with that. After the drought that we've been dealing with, we can definitely use the moisture. And considering that I live within walking distance of anything that I could possibly need in this town, it can snow all it wants to - because I can still do what I need to do.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!

2 comments:

  1. Frankly, this may have saved crops. I've talked to a handful of farmers and they're not very positive about what the weathers been doing to them... this trickles down to us all, by way of supermarket prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually very impressed with the 14" we got here (amazing the difference over 30 miles)! We had to shovel 3 times in 24 hours to stay on top of it and it was enough to keep J home from work on Thursday. We DO absolutely need the moisture, so I am glad for it...keep it coming, as far as I'm concerned! :)

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.