buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Perspective. It's a beautiful thing.

I don't even know where to start on this one. Seriously. It's been bouncing around in my head since about 7:30 this morning when some idiot in the drive-thru at work really pushed my buttons - and not in a good way.

Let me explain what happened.

We all know that I work in fast food, and most of the time I work in the drive-thru. There are things that people do that thoroughly annoy me, and I wrote about some of them a few days ago. This guy...... yeah. He was right up there with some of the worst offenders.

We were out of large coffee cups today. They had been ordered, but they didn't come on the previous truck. It happens sometimes - we can't control it. So this guy came to the drive-thru and he ordered a large coffee. Our conversation went something like this:

Mr. Grouch: Gimme a (whatever food he ordered) and a large coffee.
Me: I'm very sorry, sir, but we are out of large coffee cups today. Can I get you a medium coffee instead?
Mr. Grouch: (snaps) Well I guess I don't have much of a choice, do I?
Me: I apologize, and.....
Mr. Grouch: (interrupts) Well, I just can't believe this. I mean, really? No cups? I should just go to (insert name of other restaurant). Fine, whatever.
Me: Again, I'm very sorry sir. Can I get you anything else today?
Mr. Grouch: No. I just want my damned large coffee.
Me: Is everything on your screen correct?
Mr. Grouch: Except for the coffee, yes.
Me: Your total is (whatever it was) at the first window, please. Thank you.

He pulled up to the window and started on his tirade again, but to my face this time. I kept apologizing and explained that the cups had been ordered, but they simply were not on the truck and it was out of our control. He just kept at it and muttered under his breath as he paid for his stuff, then pulled to the second window where he continued his tirade until he left.

At first, I was really mad at the guy. I mean seriously, who gets that bent out of shape about a cup of coffee?

There are so many more important things in this world today. So many more. But yet, this guy.... this nicely dressed, handsome man driving a shiny new SUV, was totally losing his cool over something as simple as a cup of coffee.

So many people today have such an entitlement attitude, and it drives me insane. Yes, we're a business and yes, we're supposed to have large cups - but you know what? Sometimes we don't. We aren't required to have them, and even if we did have them, we're not required to serve you. If you want to make sure that you get the cup of coffee that you want - then get it yourself. Buy a coffee pot and make it yourself at home. It's that simple.

And if you make the choice to depend on someone else to provide it for you, then you need to understand that you might not always get what you want. 

Throwing a temper tantrum isn't going to help.

Hosting your own pity party isn't going to help.

If you want something to happen, then make it happen. Don't waste your energy blaming others when you have the power to do it yourself.

I really wanted to tell this guy that if getting a different sized cup of coffee was the worst thing that was going to happen to him today, he should feel lucky. At least he had the ability to get up, get dressed, get in his fancy SUV, and drive somewhere to pay someone to make him a cup of coffee. So many people today don't have that.

I honestly want to thank this jerk. He made me look at some of the things that have been weighing on my mind lately and realize that they really aren't that big of a deal, and they're not worth a temper tantrum or a pity party. Instead, I will make my own cup of coffee and handle them like an adult.

Thank you, Mr. Grouch. I needed that reality check.

3 comments:

  1. You know, the lack of large coffee cups was probably just the straw that broke the camel's back for that guy. I know that I have bad mornings sometimes, and I stub my toe getting into the bathtub, there are no matching socks in the drawer, I'm already running 5 minutes late and then one of the kids can't find their shoes or suddenly remembers something they have to take with them... and THEN I think "Gee, this has really been a crappy morning. I'm going to stop and get a coffee from Starbucks." and they screw up the order, or they're out of sleeves, cups, flavoring, etc. - and for some reason that makes me more angry and upset than the rest of my bad day combined. Not an excuse, certainly, but definitely a phenomenon that I have observed both as a patron and as a drive-thru employee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... : I'm sorry, regardless of any HORRIBLE DAY I have had, I have NEVER taken it out on a cashier, or drive thru employee OR ANYONE not related to the situation. I even try to keep my anger for boiling over to the DIRECT OFFENDER.

    It's wrong. Just because someone has a bad day.. it doesn't mean you verbally attack anyone.. NO ONE HAS THAT RIGHT.

    And, I am so proud you kept your cool Amy.
    You are a very strong woman.

    Large Coffee... Jeez... Of all the awful things!
    I hope he stepped in poop when he got out of his car.

    hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS POST TODAY. IT REMINDS ME OF A PERSON THAT ASKED ME NOT TO SEND HER E MAILS ANYMORE BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T LIKE THE REAGAN VIDEO I SENT HER BEING A REAL NEAT PRESIDENT. I LOOK AT IT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT JUST DELETE. WHY HURT THE PERSONS' FEELING.IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME. WE WERE SUPPOSE TO BE FRIENDS.THERE WASN'T ONE THING WRONG WITH THE VIDEO EXCEPT HE BELIEVED THAT OUR COUNTRY SHOULD BE UNDER GOD. I LOOK AT IT AS HER LOST NOT MIND. SO I DON'T E MAIL HER OR ANYTHING ANYMORE. I WISH HER WELL BUT THAT'S IT. I DON'T AGREE WITH ALOT OF HER BELIEFS BUT I WOULD NEVER HURT HER FEELINGS. IT'S SO MUCH EASIER TO DELETE. JUST AN OLDER PERSON VIEW.

    IT'S EASIER TO BE NICE THEN BEING SO RUDE.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.