buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Thursday, March 19, 2015

On Sweatpants and Divorce

Sometimes, I really wish that those stupid "trending topics" on Facebook wouldn't catch my eye - but unfortunately they always do. Occasionally, there will actually be something interesting or informative or even amusing there, but most of the time I'm amazed at what people consider important enough to share so often that it starts to trend.

I'm not a reality show fan. I don't follow the lives of many celebrities. I'm not a very political person (much to The Dude's dismay). Gossip doesn't really impress me. You get the idea.

But today...... today, this one just won't go away.


The first time I saw it, I thought "what the......?" and ignored it. But it stayed there, taunting me.

So, I in my sweatpants-wearing glory, clicked on it and read the article. Honestly, I have no clue who Eva Mendes is, although I gathered from the article that she is the girlfriend of Ryan Gosling (and I do know who he is) and she has a baby who is apparently still rather young.

I read the article several times, and honestly, I can't tell if she was joking by what she said. “You can’t do sweatpants… ladies, number one cause of divorce in America, sweatpants, no!”

I hope she was joking. I really do. And I really hope that she clarifies that she was joking.

I've been through two divorces, and I can guarantee you that my love for sweatpants had nothing to do with either one. Out of my friends and family members who have gone through divorces, none of them mentioned sweatpants as a cause.

Domestic violence is a cause of divorce. Infidelity. Financial stress. Not prioritizing what needs to be prioritized. Lack of communication.Addiction. You know, important stuff.

But a woman choosing to wear sweatpants as the sole reason for a divorce? Seriously?

Maybe she wears them because they're *gasp* comfortable. Or maybe because it's laundry day and they're the only thing clean. Maybe her jeans are a little tight because she's put on a few pounds (as most humans do at some point in their lives) or hasn't quite lost all of the baby weight yet. Maybe she doesn't have a ton of spare time to do laundry and is saving her cute jeans for when she plans to leave the house to run errands tomorrow. Maybe she just wants to wear sweats because they're comfortable and she doesn't have to worry about whether or not they get dirty when she's working around the house.

And maybe she's doesn't give a rat's ass about what other people think about what she wears.

3 comments:

  1. Haha! Either she is terribly misguided or she has a great sense of humor. I'm pretty sure that my ex said something about sweatpants. Not.
    Anyway, i want you to know I've been following your blog for some years now (sometimes I don't have internet...so I miss a lot but). I was single when I first found your site and now I am remarried and adjusting to all that a man in the house entails. i appreciate your candid posts and just wanted you to know that. I guess I am de lurking myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm willing to wager that she was not kidding, though her publicist has probably already told her to walk that one back. Do you know many Californians? Celebrities are the worst about this, but every Californian I've ever known, and I lived there for a while and have a sister who's lived there for 40 years, is vain and superficial. Looks are a high priority for them. I love my sister to bits, but sometimes I nearly gag when I read some of the stuff she emails me about. Like having sent her blue jeans to the dry cleaners all these years to have them pressed and then whining when she lost her job that she was "so poor" she could no longer afford to do that. What a riot! Now, I'm sure there are people in Cali that aren't totally vain and superficial. I just haven't met them. And I haven't read about a celebrity yet that isn't. Maybe it's from all the sunny, hot weather when they don't wear a lot of clothes? Beats me! Are you a music lover? Eva Mendes is/was the lead singer of the Black Eyed Peas.

    xox to you and many thanks for being sane!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. No, she's not. I just checked. She;s an actress in bad movies like "Stuck on You" and "Hitch". My apologies!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.